Birth can be intense, transformative, powerful, and unpredictable. I have always been fascinated and awed by the strength of women as they experience the remarkable transformation of becoming mothers. I am deeply committed to helping uphold this strength by providing non-judgmental, quality care to new mothers and their partners. The birth of my two daughters and the experiences of pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding have fortified my passion in supporting women and their choices during labor, birth and the postpartum period.
My aim as a Birth Doula is to support parents in labor and birth so that when they look back on the moment can remember that they felt strong, knowledgeable, respected and joyous.
In the Dominican Republic, as in most latin countries, giving birth is called Dar a Luz which means To Give Light. I think this is a perfect way to describe the enormity of the act. We open ourselves up in order to give light to the next generation. Growing up there I became aware of the ancestral practice of Cuarentena, the 40 days after birth in which a woman and her baby were cared for by her extended family in order to rest and heal from the pregnancy and birth. A bubble of care and love was created to support the new family and protect this special time from the issues of the outside world so the parents could concentrate on their newborn, and the baby could learn to feed and thrive. This practice inspires my services as a Postpartum Doula. I help parents settle into the early days of parenthood with ease, support and increasing confidence so they can really enjoy their baby's earliest days.
I am a Certified Advanced Holistic Birth Doula through The Matrona, Certified Postpartum Doula through Childbirth International (CBI), and I am a Certified Lactation Counselor from the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice (ALPP) and have been certified in Infant and Toddler CPR. I have also achieved certifications as a Birth Doula from the organization Doulas of North America (DONA) and as a Newborn Care Specialist through the Newborn Care Training Academy (NCTA). Most recently I became a Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator.
I currently offer services as a Birth and Postpartum Doula, Childbirth, Breastfeeding and Postpartum Educator, and Lactation Counselor. I offer doula services for homebirths, birthing center and hospital births, and planned cesareans. I love to doula for single moms by choice, same sex couples, adoptive parents and parents via surrogacy as they adjust to lives with their new babies. I live in Ditmas Park, Brooklyn with my husband and two daughters.
- HypnoBirthing Support Techniques for Birth Professionals Certification- HypnoBirthing Institute-2017
- Lamaze Childbirth Education Certification- Lamaze International-2017
- Advanced Holistic Doula Certification- Whapio Dianne Bartlett- The Matrona-2016
- Lamaze International Childbirth Educator Training- Lamaze NYC -2016
- Advanced Doula Training- Trainers: Gena Kirby, Leslie Everest, Joe Valley-2016
- Spinning Babies- Trainer: Tammy Ryan-2016
- H.U.G. Your Baby Educator Training- Jan Tedder-2016
- Childbirth Educator Training- Birth Arts International- 2015
- Comforting Touch for Birth- Trainer: Yiska Obadia- 2015
- Rebozo Technique, The Gena Kirby Method- Trainer: Amethyst Herstens- 2015
- Certified Holistic Health Coach Training- Institute for Integrative Nutrition- 2007-2008