Taught in the comfort of your own home, with humor and a relaxed attitude. You will have plenty to time to ask questions, practice positions, eat, drink and take bathroom breaks at your leisure.
Childbirth Education class
Based on the modern Lamaze Healthy Birth Practices (no hoohoohoo heeheehee breathing here!), this class prepares parents on all major aspects of birthing in New York City.
Parents will learn about:
- Anatomy and Physiology of labor
- The role of hormones in the labor process
- Emotional milestones of labor
- Pain management techniques and the role of your support people
- Interventions you might come across, their risks, benefits and alternatives
- What happens right after you have the baby
Learn the basics about feeding your baby comfortably and calmly. This class is meant to give you lots of guidance on how to approach the first few days and weeks of breastfeeding your baby.
- Milk production: How does it all work?
- The “Golden Hour” and it’s importance
- Initial breastfeeding in the first few hours after birth
- What is engorgement and how to deal with it
- Hallmarks of a good latch and how to achieve them
- Troubleshooting common issues and concerns
Babies are super cute, they are also small and need a lot of care. Come learn the pro-tips I’ve acquired in my years as a postpartum doula (and as a mom).
Topics covered (but not limited to)
- Normal baby appearance and behaviors
- Baby wearing and it’s many benefits
- Baby sleep and how to maximize/cope with it
Prenatal Preparation for the Postpartum Period
Once baby arrives everything changes. Often times we focus so much on the birth we neglect to prepare for what comes after. This consultation will build confidence and knowledge about the changes your lives will go through once baby arrives. In this session we will cover what to expect from the moment the baby is born, through the first days, weeks and months of life. I will help you come up with a postpartum plan so that everyone in the family is taken care of, create and utilize a great support network. I will give you the best “pro-tips” I have learned as a seasoned postpartum doula so you can enjoy the first precious weeks and months of your baby’s life with confidence and ease knowing you are the expert on your baby. Some of the topics we will cover are:
- Initial and continued breastfeeding
- Physical changes and care of the birthing parent
- Importance of proper rest and nutrition for the whole family
- Newborn appearance and behavior
- How to maximize the help you get and where to find more if you need it
- Coping with family challenges, growth spurts and much, much more.